The Weeknd "High For This (Nasty Nasty Edit)"
- Words: Patric Fallon
As San Francisco producer Jasper Reeder (a.k.a. NastyNasty) said in his email when he sent this track over, "The Weeknd (pictured above) is on fire right now," and it's completely true, if not inescapably obvious (the Canadian outfit just announced over 200,000 official downloads of its free House of Ballons mixtape). And what happens when that kind of hype surrounds a fresh, young artist? The (unofficial) remixes start pouring in. Just as we finished clearing our inboxes of edits, reworks, and covers of every song The xx ever wrote, tweaked versions of The Weeknd's tracks filled them back up. It makes sense, too; silky, slow songs like "The Morning" and "What You Need" are practically begging for a double-time dancefloor edit. NastyNasty's own contribution to the onslaught is a footwork-slanted take on House of Ballons opener "High For This," which essentially tosses breakneck 808 drum patterns and buzzy synthscapes over the slow-burning tune. Thankfully, Reeder doesn't overload the already stellar song with his production ideas, and strikes an ideal balance between his own hyped-up musical style and the grimy soul of The Weeknd's original.
- NewsAudion Announces Upcoming 12" for Kompakt
- NewsStream a New Track from Om Unit's Upcoming EP for Metalheadz
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- NewsTodd Terje's New "Delorean Dynamite" Video Looks to Sell an Actual Delorean; Watch It Now
- NewsCheck Out Caribou's 'Essential Mix' for BBC Radio 1
XLR8R Downloads Player