Alexis Penney "Lonely Sea (Ecstasy Remix)"
Just last week, San Francisco house and disco party-cum-label Honey Soundsystem released a 7" single for Oakland-based singer Alexis Penney's "Lonely Sea", a song produced by Nick Weiss, one half of Oberlin's hotly tipped Teengirl Fantasy outfit. For this remix, Portland house revivalists The Miracles Club teamed up with another member of its Ecstasy crew, Avalon K of Finesse, to refit the classically inspired tune with its own take on sprawling, vintage house. The collected producers inject a somber and deep mood underneath Penney's plaintive vocal melodies with warm synth pads, bulbous basslines, sparkling arpeggiations, and a bare-bones 909 rhythm. It's not a massive change from the original song, but hearing The Miracles Club's tasteful analog touch certainly adds a distinct element. Hear more of that sound when the PDX house combo hits San Francisco this Saturday, April 16 alongside Legowelt at Public Works. You can check out more info on that shindig here, and the new video for the original version of "Lonely Sea" after the jump.
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
XLR8R Downloads Player