Mountains "Thousand Square"
The long-standing duo of Brendon Anderegg and Koen Holtkamp, collectively known as Mountains, has a new LP, Air Museum (artwork above), on its way and has passed along this track as a preview of the forthcoming full-length. "Thousand Square" finds the duo exploring the familiar territory of sparkling ambiance with a host of intricate synth tones and manipulated field recordings. Beginning simply with a pulsating note, the pair carefully introduces new elements that serve to expand the track's humble beginnings into ever-growing sonic depths. Where less-seasoned creators of meandering soundscapes might overload the listener, Anderegg and Holtkamp seem to be able to delicately pile sound source upon sound source without disturbing the calming balance a track like "Thousand Square" evokes in its listeners. Surely Mountains will have many more similarly enriched aural landscapes for us to explore when Air Museum is released May 10.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player