Powell "Atomic Tricks"
Many producers at work in the Ableton-centric realm of electronic music tend to favor 'soundcraft' over 'songcraft', which is all well and good, but a balance of the two certainly works in everyone's favor. Parisian tunesmith Powell certainly leans heavily towards the art of sound design, but thankfully has a toe or two dipped into the pond of catchy hooks. His brand of funky, electro-tinged bass music is rife with rubbery synth tones, swarms of neon space noise, and gut-punching beats, and, as heard on "Atomic Tricks," Powell will every so often wrangle those sounds from their disparate locations in the mix to work out an invigorating dance groove. Those moments are few and far between, not to mention short-lived, but damn if they're not worth the wait. You can nab the whole lot of them on Powell's seven-track Densui EP, here.
- NewsPreview Gerd's Upcoming 12" for DFTD
- NewsWatch the Wild New Video for "Tsekeleke," Nozinja's First Shangaan Electro Outing for Warp
- FeatureLocals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- NewsDownload New Edits from Karizma
- NewsWatch the Geometric Video for Sculpture's "Hackle Scam Populator"
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player