Last summer, we posted "Linstigator," the first salvo from the UK's Disclosure, a pair of teenage brothers named Guy and Howard Lawrence. After following up that slice of melancholy 2-step with a proper single on Moshi Moshi, the boys delved back into the studio and are now ready to drop a follow-up in June. "Carnival" is taken from that new single, and while it's not a completely radical reinvention—the music is still thoroughly grounded in UK bass music—the South London duo has certainly switched it up in terms of mood, leaving behind the depressed garage vibes and experimenting with bouncing bass, playful melodies, polished synths, and sassy R&B swagger. This feelgood spirit—not to mention the uptick in production quality—suits Disclosure well, so we're excited to see how things progress in the months ahead.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player