Blithe Field "Crushing"
Following in the footsteps of electronic music composers primarily interested in the effects of precious, emotive sounds (i.e. Four Tet, Gold Panda, Styrofoam, et al) is 19-year-old tunesmith Spencer Radcliffe from Athens, Ohio, who's been crafting that sort of music for some time under the name Blithe Field. His latest offering is an LP called Two Hearted (pictured above), the first track of which we have for you here. "Crushing" starts off with the sounds of barking puppies—running the risk of sounding entirely too cute, even for adolescent school girls—before quickly segueing into a tasteful groove of live drumming, tweaked acoustic guitar samples, bass melodies, and subtle electronics. More cutesy samples and poignant soundscapes appear before Blithe Field's album opener is finished—leaving us oddly intrigued as to what other heart-on-sleeve tracks we'll hear when Two Hearted is made available on June 28 via Lefse sister label Waaga.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player