Solar Bears "Dream Valley (Young Montana? Remix)"
- Words: Patric Fallon
- Photo: Adele M. Reed
Here, Solar Bears and Young Montana? (pictured above), two oddly similar artists from across the pond (Ireland and England, to be exact), mash together their shared love of shimmering melodies, intricate aural textures, and inventive rhythmic work on this remix that effectively highlights all three areas of interest. The young English producer (who, incidentally, just dropped his debut LP, Limerance, via Alpha Pup) applies a few herky-jerky beats and some woozy synth tones to the thick, crackling atmospheres of the Dublin duo's "Dream Valley," which altogether yields a sound that floats somewhere in the company of Warp roster favorites like Flying Lotus, Boards of Canada, and Bibio. "Dream Valley (Young Montana? Remix)" is upbeat yet languid, clear-eyed yet psychedelic, fresh yet familiar, and, most importantly, highly enjoyable. We certainly wouldn't mind more of these remixes from the pair in the future.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player