Essáy "Love & Air"
This week saw the release of the Distance & Lights EP, a free, two-song offering from the Edinburgh-based Cut imprint, a net label launched earlier this year by dub-techno producer DFRNT, who also oversees the Echodub label. Cut's stated intent is to only put out free music while maintaining the quality of traditional releases, and the Distance & Lights EP doesn't fall short of those aims. Crafted by German producer Essáy, the EP contains a pair of wonderfully laid-back pieces of music that touch on techno without getting anywhere near the dancefloor. In an era where the term "chill" is often equated with lo-fi production techniques and intentionally sloppy construction, a song like "Love & Air" shows that it's still possible to deliver a relaxing vibe within the context of an impeccably assembled song. With its subdued piano melody, whooshing white noise, and keen placement of various field recordings in the background, "Love & Air" is the sort of inviting number that you want to wrap around yourself like a blanket. Give it a listen below and then head over to the Cut Bandcamp page to download the entire release.
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- PodcastFrankie Knuckles
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Robert Hood, Tycho, Jacques Greene, and More
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player