Drifter "Please Stay"
- Words: Patric Fallon
23-year-old Helsinki producer Drifter isn't exactly a newbie when it comes to crafting his style of slow, gloomy beat music, but his first-ever EP under that moniker won't be available until next week. This lovely tune comes from that self-titled debut, and exhibits the artist's penchant for wavering melodies, micro-sampled rhythmic patterns, and deeply soulful vocal samples, all of which are left with lots of breathing room to operate. We know those aren't exactly 'original' ideas, but the way Drifter applies them on "Please Stay" sounds both familiar and fresh—like Mount Kimbie and Shlohmo covering an old Portishead tune. You can grab the rest of the Drifter EP (pictured above) for free when it drops May 30 on Bandcamp.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player