Drifter "Please Stay"
- Words: Patric Fallon
23-year-old Helsinki producer Drifter isn't exactly a newbie when it comes to crafting his style of slow, gloomy beat music, but his first-ever EP under that moniker won't be available until next week. This lovely tune comes from that self-titled debut, and exhibits the artist's penchant for wavering melodies, micro-sampled rhythmic patterns, and deeply soulful vocal samples, all of which are left with lots of breathing room to operate. We know those aren't exactly 'original' ideas, but the way Drifter applies them on "Please Stay" sounds both familiar and fresh—like Mount Kimbie and Shlohmo covering an old Portishead tune. You can grab the rest of the Drifter EP (pictured above) for free when it drops May 30 on Bandcamp.
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- PodcastFrankie Knuckles
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Robert Hood, Tycho, Jacques Greene, and More
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player