- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Lexington, Kentucky might be known as "The Horse Capital of the World," but it's not exactly renowned as a hotbed for cutting-edge electronic music. As such, we're not exactly sure how Milyoo managed to hone his beatmaking chops, but the boy has undoubtedly got skills. His next release is the "Colors" b/w "Games" single (artwork above) on Subeena's Opit label, which is scheduled to come out on July 28. Ahead of that, he's elected to share "Lightbike," a lurching, hip-hop flavored composition stuffed with sonic oddities and microsamples. The track showcases an inventive mentality not unlike that shown by the artists of LA's beat scene, yet the song's head-nodding slaps hint toward an artist who has also spent plenty of time taking notes on some of commercial radio's best jams. It's a winning formula, and one that has us excited to see what else Milyoo has on tap in the months ahead.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player