Chelsea Wolfe "The Wasteland"
In the recent press for her forthcoming long-player Ἀποκάλυψις (said like "apokalypsis"), LA-based artist Chelsea Wolfe's sound is often referred to as "doom folk" or worse, but we find that to be a bit of a misnomer. As the bellowing dirge called "The Wasteland" indicates, she is simply a gifted singer and musician as interested in dark electronic soundscapes as she is in memorable songcraft. This cut from the as-yet-unreleased LP is all distorted organ drones, smashing drum-machine beats, and unsettling, discordant noise, but in the midst of that miasma of sound is Wolfe's low-register croon, simultaneously calling us into the murk and warning us just how dismal it is down there. We can't venture to call it soul, but damn if it doesn't have that in spades. Hear the rest of Wolfe's Ἀποκάλυψις when it's available via Pendu Sound on August 23. (via Altered Zones)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player