Dennis Coffey feat. Mayer Hawthorne "All Your Goodies Are Gone (Shigeto Remix)"
Considering his role as one of the later members in the legendary Funk Brothers Motown backing band and the string of hits to his name (including the classic song "Scorpio", which has been sampled countless times in the hip-hop world over the years), any XLR8R readers who fancy themselves decent crate diggers (and we imagine that's a lot of you) should be familiar with the work of Dennis Coffey. Earlier in the year, the Detroit guitarist saw his first album since the mid '80s released through the Strut imprint, and now the self-titled effort is starting to turn up some remixes, like this one from fellow Michigan resident Shigeto (pictured above). As one might expect, Shigeto carefully molds "All Your Goodies Are Gone" into a slow-brewing piece of soulful downtempo, choosing to use Coffey's original guitar work in lush spurts of backwards movement and, fortunately, keeping Mayer Hawthorne's vocal contributions to an unobtrusive minimum. A free remix collection of Coffey's album, including additional reimaginings from the likes of Dabrye, Recloose, 14KT, Nick Speed, and more is said to be on its way soon.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player