Magic Touch "Clubhouse (feat. Honey Owens)"
Sampladelic. It's a pretty cringe-worthy way of describing anything serious, but as far as the music of Magic Touch (a.k.a. Damon Palermo of Mi Ami) is concerned, its anachronism is entirely appropriate—and meant with positive connotations. Take "I Can Feel The Heat," the San Francisco artist's first release, out today on LA's 100% Silk label. Featuring cameos from Miracles Club's Honey Owens and Corrine's Joshua Anzano, "I Can Feel The Heat" acts as a sort of aural history lesson on the touchstone moments of classic underground dance music. As a way of introducing his sound, Palermo has offered up "Clubhouse," and like his other tracks—as well as the tracks of label and Mi Ami bandmate Ital, who we coincidentally reviewed just this morning—it strives successfully to insert itself before the hard boundary of linear time via a dizzying application of interpolation, simulacra, and samples. Download "Clubhouse" below, and head here to listen to the entire three-track release.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player