Lucky Paul "Demon Spawn (Lucky Paul Refix)"
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Earlier this year, New Zealander Lucky Paul released The Slow Ground EP via the eclectic Somethinksounds imprint. At the time, the now-Berlin-based artist didn't have a huge profile, but the release of the EP and a subsequent remix single on New York's Wolf + Lamb label have quickly changed things. Somethinksounds is getting set to repress the EP, so they've relinquished this new version of "Demon Spawn" to help spread the word. While the original track was a lurching, off-kilter slice of futuristic boogie-funk, here Lucky Paul has refashioned the song into something more suitable for the four-on-the-floor set. The soulful vocals have been kept largely intact, but they now lay alongside some silky filtered synths and ride smoothly over a steady techno pulse. It's unclear whether Lucky Paul always had these kinds of dancefloor inclinations at his disposal or whether he was inspired after hearing his music transformed by the Wolf + Lamb crew, but we'd like to go ahead and put in a vote for him to keep experimenting with these kinds of club-friendly rhythms.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player