Great Skies "Festival"
Does anyone else remember the relaxed stylings of indie outfits like Tristeza or Sea and Cake? Imagine if those bands were still operating today, only with drum machines instead of traditional "rock" percussion, and you might get something pretty close to the sounds being created by Great Skies. The London artist recently released the Summer Moments EP on the increasingly impressive Cut label, an effort that makes us wonder if 2011 might be the year when chillwave grows up a bit. Sure, a song like "Festival" features some vaguely Balearic melodies paired with some fairly simple drum-machine beats, but it also displays a real level of refinement that's often absent from the dreck often being turned out by the legions of bedroom beatmakers operating with a similar sound palette. The entire four-song EP is available for free download here.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player