Great Skies "Festival"
Does anyone else remember the relaxed stylings of indie outfits like Tristeza or Sea and Cake? Imagine if those bands were still operating today, only with drum machines instead of traditional "rock" percussion, and you might get something pretty close to the sounds being created by Great Skies. The London artist recently released the Summer Moments EP on the increasingly impressive Cut label, an effort that makes us wonder if 2011 might be the year when chillwave grows up a bit. Sure, a song like "Festival" features some vaguely Balearic melodies paired with some fairly simple drum-machine beats, but it also displays a real level of refinement that's often absent from the dreck often being turned out by the legions of bedroom beatmakers operating with a similar sound palette. The entire four-song EP is available for free download here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player