Flume "Sleepless (Feat. Anthony For Cleopatra)"
Preceded by a ten-second dissonant fake-out intro, this track from 19-year-old, Sydney-based up-and-comer Flume is a solid piece of soulful beat work. Acting as the title track for his recently released debut EP (artwork above), "Sleepless" moves at a steady chillwave-ish pace with no shortage of lush chords or skillfully pitched vocal glitches (chops of Anthony For Cleopatra we presume) to float alongside the irresistible bassline and head-nod-worthy drum programming. The young Australian essentially manipulates the same handful of sounds throughout the course of the tune, building up and breaking down the elements to keep things moving—and we're just fine with that. If you've got a beautiful concoction of warm, soulful tones, why mess with it too much? Sounds like Flume agrees.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player