Essáy and Stumbleine "Rhiannon"
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Essáy, a self-proclaimed crafter of "emotional" electronic music, has released a number of worthwhile (and mostly free) tunes over the course of 2011, but the collaboration between the German producer and UK resident Stumbleine—another producer who's not afraid to get in touch with his softer side—is perhaps the most emotive offering to come from the Essáy moniker to date. "Rhiannon"—which, yes, does sample the Fleetwood Mac song of the same name—comes close to being worthy of a "chillwave" categorization, yet still somehow eludes it, trimming the superfluous bells and whistles (well, maybe not the bells) that usually define the sun-drenched, bliss-hop vibes of the blogger-friendly genre, and instead focusing the attention on superb production, rich tones, and really rewarding songwriting. That's not to say that the tune doesn't tap into the blissed-out warmth you'd expect from this pairing, just that it comes across in a much more refined package than you might expect, and is much, much better for it.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player