From the seemingly neverending pool of talented producers claiming London as their home base, Thefft is a burgeoning bass-music aficionado who recently dropped a three-track EP for the consistently quality net label Cut. Here we have the Primer EP's (artwork above) closing track, "Stares," a sharp, methodical voyage into the more dancefloor-friendly regions of dub-techno. Following a solid minute and a half of letting his drum programming take the lead amongst a cloud of noise, Thefft eventually introduces layers of fuzzy, ever-evolving chords which weave in and out as the unquestionably deep bass moves things along in a slightly laid-back fashion underneath it all. After giving "Stares" a listen below, you can download the whole EP for the price of "Pay What You Want" (and your email) over at the Cut imprint's Bandcamp.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player