South South Million "Baff Speech"
Detroit duo South South Million—a project that "centers around the collage of live instrumentation, samples, and found sounds"—has a new full-length scheduled to drop on March 6 via Brooklyn imprint Triple Down, and is sharing one of Wind Hand Caught in the Door's 16 handmade tunes ahead of its release. "Baff Speech" is a prime example of Trevor Naud's and Daniel Clark's production style: A vinyl-ripped jazz beat unfurls its chopped bits on a loop, as it's gradually surrounded by sitar riffs, guitar strums, the odd piano flourish, and buried vocal coos, most of which you can never be quite sure if they have been sampled or not. It pretty much sounds like a collaboration between Bibio, Flying Lotus, and Simon & Garfunkel. If that piques your interest, make sure to sign up for South South Million's mailing list on its website, so you can get your free digital copy of Wind Hand ahead of its release date.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player