Toronto-based threesome Woodhands just released their latest album, Heart Attack. “Dancer,” the appropriately named first single, is an enthusiastic electro-pop gem with a dirty underbelly. Sweet female vocals run up against abrupt male shouting (Is he screaming “You’re Michael Jackson”?) over bright synths that slow for an understated, glitchy bridge. The composition will either make you move or make you “want to cry while you’re having sex,” as the band puts it. Lulu McAllister
Downloads - Page 685
Coming to you from Staffordshire, U.K. Read more »
Lake are unabashed makers of pop music, and this, paired with their apparent love of Dr. Seuss, makes for an upbeat, feel-good debut album, Oh the Places We'll Go, for K records. Members of the group, all currently based in Olympia, WA, are all multi-instrumentalists and songwriters in their own right. Combined, they make danceable, slightly psychedelic music fill of snares, keyboards, reverb-drenched vocals, and thoughtful lyrics. And you have to give props to a band unafraid of referencing the name of a Dr. Seuss book for an album title. Photo by John Ringh.
It's not hard to obey this track title's command. Canada's king of bass, Ghislain Poirier, has teamed up with badman MC Zulu, and the two do, in fact, seem to go ballistic, with soca-drenched rhythms and melodic raps that bounce up and down with the beats and bass. For the remix, Toddla-T and Duckbeats, who have reworked the likes of Hot Chip, Tricky, and Kid Acne, turned the original rhythm inside out by adding some good old-fashioned shuffle to the beat. We dare you not to go a little nuts upon hearing this.
Initially made as a conceptual follow-up to Read more »
Ben Jacobs (a.k.a. Max Tundra) is finally back, with his first album in six years. Parallax Error Beheads You finds the U.K.-based multi-instrumentalist dabbling in wobbly electronics and soul-drenched vocals, and the entire album has a definitive feel-good aura about it. Besides producing music, Jacobs hosts a weekly radio show on Resonance FM and was one of the last artists every to record a Peel Sessions on the late John Peel's radio show.
This is definitely one for those who enjoy going Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player