Medicine member Brad Laner, whose solo debut was released this passed Tuesday on Hometapes, has been commissioned to score the soundtrack for Eric Green's upcoming shoegaze documentary, Beautiful Noise. Here is a taste of Laner's own production work, which includes his own flavor of the shoegaze sound.
Downloads - Page 735
"The Beautiful Ones," from L.A.-based duo The Battle of Land and Sea, is the kind of mournful, acoustic lullaby that hip emo kids enjoy crying over. The layered vocal harmonies and subtle stringed instruments add a sinister, at at times religious feel to the composition, which comes from the band's self-titled debut.
Funk is one of the most grossly overused words in music journalism, but one can't help thinking of the term when listening to The Emergency's "Spending Time." The basslines groove, the the harmonies slink, and if the vocals didn't remind us of pasty white Englishmen from the mid-'80s, we might be convinced this track is straight from the 1960s. Love those handclaps too.
Hoarse Lords–Clipd Beaks' debut for Brooklyn's Lovepump United imprint–sees the California-based band rolling out more heavy-handed synths, jagged, indecipherable vocals, and unpredictable tempo shifts. Love them or hate them, but it's hard not to pay attention to this band and its bizarre form of experimental rock.
Chilean export José Antonio "Toto" Bravo found acclaim as one-half of the Bitman and Roban duo, which combined Latin flavors with funk and hip-hop for several years. Bravo's solo work as DJ Bitman comes in the form of the recently-released Latin Bitman album, which explores a smoother, more acoustic side of multilingual hip-hop and its many sub-genres.
Frenchman Cosmo Vitelli gets his hands on Read more »
Definitive Jux's newest addition to its ever-growing arsenal of street-saavy Caucasian rappers comes in the form of Brooklyn-based duo Junk Science. These beer-loving hip-hop heads' sophomore album, Gran'Dad's Nerve Tonic, is witty, soulful, and still gangster enough to keep up with labelmate Cage. This Daedelus remix can also be found on limited-edition 7” vinyl.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player