Definitive Jux's newest addition to its ever-growing arsenal of street-saavy Caucasian rappers comes in the form of Brooklyn-based duo Junk Science. These beer-loving hip-hop heads' sophomore album, Gran'Dad's Nerve Tonic, is witty, soulful, and still gangster enough to keep up with labelmate Cage. This Daedelus remix can also be found on limited-edition 7” vinyl.
Downloads - Page 736
Frenchman Cosmo Vitelli gets his hands on Read more »
For those who can't wait to hear the forthcoming EP from Yoni Wolf's WHY? project, catch the title-track from the release a couple weeks in advance. "The Hollows" boasts slow, brooding guitars and lyrics with a subtly angst-ridden feel. We love pop that's got an edge of impending doom. Photo of Sarah Cass.
South London's Roots Manuva has had a stronghold on the dub-meets-hip-hop realm for the better part of the last decade–collaborating with everyone from Gorillaz to The Cinematic Orchestra, in addition to recording for labels as diverse as Ninja Tune, 23 Skidoo's Ronin imprint, and of course, Big Dada. "Witness (1 Hope)," taken from the Big Dada compilation Well Deep: 10 Years of Big Dada Recordings, is a taste of just how impacting Roots has been in many facets of urban music.
Luke Morris may be the only member of Secret Owl Society, but this young Louisiana-based producer has enough experience with experimental IDM to form his own cult. Like a true graduate from the school of Morr Music, Morris uses muted vocals, textural synth bleeps, and a touch of hypnotic trance to work his magic. Look out for this Southern underdog.
Vinyl-only imprint Throne of Blood laces the Read more »
Not unlike a majority of the artists on the Modular roster, Melbourne-based electro-popper Muscles has had no trouble turning out 18 and over dance parties around the world. The one-man songwriter's newest singe is all the proof in the world. Featuring Cut Copy-esque synths and "Peace, Love, Ecstacy" vocal chants, "Sweaty" is a surefire cure for the "it's not summer anymore" blues.
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- ReviewAphex Twin Syro
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player