The Pearl "Flesh Eaters (Distal Remix)"
"Fun" isn't exactly the first word that comes to mind when discussing the grab-all term that is "bass music," but it does sound like Distal had a good bit of fun reworking "Flesh Eaters." Sure, there's nothing jovial about the music here—in fact, it's pretty sinister—but Distal does seem to have an effortless command over his sonic landscapes; we'd like to imagine he enjoys exercising this control as much as we enjoy listening to the results. Bouncing us through a few infectiously heavy rhythms, the Atlanta producer takes this rework to every imaginable corner, even cutting the drums entirely at one point and landing the tune in almost new-age territory for the briefest of moments. If the original version from The Pearl is half as good as this, then the forthcoming 7" from Circuitree (artwork above)—which will serve as home to both versions of "Flesh Eaters"—should prove a worthwhile use of wax. You can pre-order that 7" before it officially drops on April 12 over on the label's Bandcamp.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player