Portrait "Can You Tell"
- Words: Taylor Fife
Up-and-coming Bristol-based beatsmith Artifact (a.k.a. Ryan Bonfield, pictured above) has made a couple of appearances on XLR8R this year as a solo artist, and has now tipped us off to Portrait, his side project with production partner Ziro. Bonfield says Artifact will remain the home of his dancefloor-ready productions, while Portrait takes a more "musical" approach. "Can You Tell" seems club-appropriate enough to us, but it is a lush bit of 2-step in the vein of Burial, as opposed to the bassy, driving beats provided by Artifact. This tune will not be receiving an official release, but Portrait does have a digital two-tracker, "Because" b/w "All of Me," coming out on April 30 through Pollen, the artwork for which can be found after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player