Bobby Tank "Wolpheus"
All comparisons to the neon-hued maximalism pushed by the likes of Glaswegians Rustie and Hudson Mohawke aside, London producer Bobby Tank seems to be onto something with his forthcoming Afterburn EP for Mofo Hifi. "Wolpheus" perfectly exhibits the '80s-funk, glitch, and hip-hop appropriations which the tunesmith minces into glittery dust before sprinkling it all over his wild compositions—subsequently cranking the whole thing up into hyperdimensional, bonus-level territory. It's almost the exact sonic equivalent of Afterburn's colorfully chaotic, unreal artwork (pictured above), which basically depicts some kind of DMT-induced rave. Look for the rest of Bobby Tank's three-track EP to drop on May 17, with another EP and an album set to arrive before the year's end.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player