Alphabets Heaven "genggeng"
Brighton-based Jonny Wildey, whose twisted work as Alphabets Heaven has appeared on XLR8R before, is a producer with a truly kaleidoscopic take on hip-hop and post-Dilla beat structures. Straying from conventional methods, his music often switches direction mid-song to offer some pithy advice via a sample or to introduce a new instrumental tangent altogether. Like France's Fulgeance and US juggernaut Araabmuzik, Alphabets Heaven's weapon of choice is the MPC, and his sound on "Genggeng" reflects this chopped and rambunctious approach to production. Lifted from his second release for Canadian stable King Deluxe, Boosh (artwork above), Alphabets Heaven showcases whirring synths drowning under the pressure of heavyweight kick drums and a myriad of sliced samples; the vocals seem to be squeezed through the openings made between a bulbous sub bassline and flickering shakers to delirious effect. The four-track EP is available now, and features remixes by Robert Koch and Headshotboyz. The complete tracklist can be found after the jump.
03. Soul Dancing
05. Darma (Headshotboyz Retrip)
06. Woman (Robot Koch's Over The Moon Remix)
07. Arka (wArkawArka remix)
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
- Hi-Five - DJ Q Reminisces About His Five Favorite UK Garage Bootlegs
XLR8R Downloads Player