Marley Carroll "R&S"
- Words: Taylor Fife
On "R&S," Asheville, NC producer Marley Carroll channels the muted and subtlely emotive dubstep of days gone by with a cut that's heavy on the bass but light on bombast. In vintage bass music fashion, this just-under-140-bpm tune provides almost no melodies in the high- and mid-range, instead focusing on sharp percussion and a heap of breathing sub-bass tones. Short vocal snippets and a simple synthline pepper the tune, but the song's allure isn't so much in the notes as in the spaces between them. "R&S" was released yesterday a part of the R&S/Cedars EP, which can be downloaded for the price of your choosing over on Carroll's Bandcamp.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player