The Hypnotic Lights "Storm (Lanny May's Dark Space Edit)"
Swirling synths out of a John Carpenter soundtrack and a relentless forward motion drive this suitably epic edit of German trio The Hypnotic Lights' "Storm." Spliced by Berlin resident Lanny May, the textures in his "Dark Space Edit" breathe in the background, sidechained heavily by powerful-but-restrained percussion that accelerates rhythmically as the tune progresses into its first, glistening drop. The synths are smooth in parts, serrated and hissing in others, and buoyed by a heavily distorted bassline that smudges the track with a dream-like quality as it enters its second melodic progression four minutes in. It's the second drop that gives credence to the "Dark Space" title of this edit, sucking the listener into a black vortex. Look for this tune to drop alonside 7 others when the We Are EP is made available via The Hypnotic Lights' own imprint.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player