Magic Panda "Tokyo (Kid606 BlissCrunk Remix)"
- Words: Elissa Stolman
The term "BlissCrunk" in the title of Berlin-based Kid606's remix of Magic Panda's "Tokyo" seems like an odd and perhaps tongue-in-cheek descriptor of the track. The elements that could be taken for "bliss," like the slowly escalating pads and mattress-like effect of the ever-present layer of bass, end up reading more like the paranoid dystopia of the Blade Runner soundtrack, especially when a high-pitched whine enters the mix toward the end. As for "crunk," the slow-motion beat has more potential to inspire pensive hours of watching a sunrise, rather than full-body juking. The melodious nature of the rework is a left turn for the producer, but not the first turn he's taken in recent memory—"I Want Her Wings," which he released last month, channels a similarly fuzzy drowsiness. His remix of Magic Panda, who is busy preparing an LP for Kid606's label Tigerbeat6, sounds like it could be the darker b-side to that aforementioned track.
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- PodcastGerd Janson
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player