David Douglas "California Poppy (Solar Bears Remix)"
We've certainly taken a liking to Utrecht producer David Douglas this year, and so we're excited to share a rework of his song "California Poppy" by Irish duo Solar Bears (a.k.a. John Kowalski and Rian Trench). The remix finds the twosome rearranging and slightly altering the many layers that comprise Douglas' rich atmospherics to create a busier and buzzier sound. Solar Bears give the original song's smooth synths a grating edge and churning low end, which makes the overall mix murkier, but doesn't drown out the crisp bassline. Although there is no official release date for Solar Bear's upcoming LP, the duo has confirmed that its "California Poppy" rework will be featured on a remix EP scheduled for a September release via Atomnation, the same label that released Douglas's debut album, Royal Horticultural Society.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player