Kid Smpl "Escape Pod"
The Seattle bass-music wunderkind known as Kid Smpl has had a very busy past two years. He's released a slew of EPs (Ghostsuit, a split with Daega Sound, Collapse, and Digital Hands, among others), a bevy of remixes, and he even has a few videos tucked under his belt. But the 21-year-old beatsmith born Joey Butler isn't one to take a break; he's got a new five-track digital release called Escape Pod dropping on August 7 through Seattle radio DJ Alex Ruder's newly launched Hush Hush label. Kid Smpl has often mentioned the music of Burial as a major influence on his sound, and on Escape Pod's opening title track, the similarities shine through, as slow, muted percussion crawls beneath a bed of graceful atmospheric strings. "Escape Pod" sets a sparse and ethereal stage for the rest of the young producer's EP, which includes three other original cuts and a strangely upbeat remix of "Pulse" by WEDIDIT Collective associate D33J.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player