Screamin' Rachael "Extacy"
There's a reason that Trax is popularly known as "the Motown of House." Founded in 1985, the label helped to propel house music from a Chicago-based phenomenon into a national—and eventually worldwide—craze. Trax's storied, 25-year history includes a pantheon of artists that includes Frankie Knuckles, Virgo, and the "Queen of House" herself, Screamin' Rachael, who is now the label's president. And now, after celebrating its longevity last year with a 25th anniversary compilation (which also included a documentary called The House That Trax Built, the trailer for which you can view here), Trax is set to release a summer compilation aptly titled Summertrax. Featured here, Screamin' Rachael's "Extasy" is the record's opener (following a short intro by curator Jorge Cruz), and sets things up in classic '80s mode, opening with a pulsing backbeat and Rachael's sultry spoken vocals before switching into high gear with a simple-yet-infectious bassline. You can nab this joint, along with the rest of the compilation exclusively on Juno, or you can wait until its worldwide release on July 30.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player