Desto "Compton Roll"
- Words: Elissa Stolman
The founders of Helsinki bass music outpost Signal Life, Teeth and Desto (pictured above) have unveiled a bonus cut following the label's second release. The split EP features two tracks apiece from Bristol's Kowton and Finnish producer LAS (check those out after the jump), but the bonus cut comes from label boss Desto himself. Although the title, "Compton Roll," might suggest that the song is some kind of West Coast-inspired answer to "Harlem Shake," Desto's beat is much more dark and sparse than Baauer's squeaking banger. His bastardized hip-hop rhythm has more swerve than swagger, with booming 808s, pattering rhythms, and rapid-fire, gummy zaps all vying for your attention.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player