Desto "Compton Roll"
- Words: Elissa Stolman
The founders of Helsinki bass music outpost Signal Life, Teeth and Desto (pictured above) have unveiled a bonus cut following the label's second release. The split EP features two tracks apiece from Bristol's Kowton and Finnish producer LAS (check those out after the jump), but the bonus cut comes from label boss Desto himself. Although the title, "Compton Roll," might suggest that the song is some kind of West Coast-inspired answer to "Harlem Shake," Desto's beat is much more dark and sparse than Baauer's squeaking banger. His bastardized hip-hop rhythm has more swerve than swagger, with booming 808s, pattering rhythms, and rapid-fire, gummy zaps all vying for your attention.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player