Kuhn "Even Bears"
Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai is greatly acclaimed on both sides of the Pacific as one of the most influential films of all time; after all, it birthed one of American cinema's most beloved westerns, The Magnificent Seven. Interestingly enough, Brooklyn's Astro Nautico label and Japanese imprint Day Tripper are paying homage to both movies with a collaborative release entitled 7 by 7: Astro Nautico x Day Tripper, on which seven of Astro Nautico's beatsmiths sample Kurosawa's seminal film and seven of Osaka's INNIT crew (who all work with Day Tripper) sample its Westernized counterpart. Opening the American camp's side of the record is Kuhn's "Even Bears," which finds the Brooklyn beatmaker applying a beat-scene-inspired approach to his arrangements of samples of traditional Japanese percussion and hypnotic vocal chants. The whole thing winds up creating a veritable stomper reminiscent of the kind of East-meets-West productions pioneered by DJ Krush. You can nab the rest of the free digital EP (which is also out on cassette) over on Astro Nautico's Bandcamp page, or stream it in full after the jump.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player