The Gaslamp Killer "Impulse (feat. Daedelus)"
Possibly the man with the most bizarre mustache in electronic music, LA's The Gaslamp Killer is poised to release his debut album, Breakthrough, via Flying Lotus' Brainfeeder imprint on September 18. If this is your first encounter with the bombastic artist, you may be surprised to learn that aside from his talents as a genre-bending producer, he is also a noteworthy turntablist and a co-founder/resident DJ of the Low End Theory club night in Los Angeles. However, that doesn't necessarily mean his records are inherently playable in an average club. "Impulse"—which features another major Southern California talent, Daedelus—is a prime example of this intangible sonic disorder because it features distorted drum sounds, a fat saw-tooth bassline, screeching synths, vinyl scratch sound effects, and manic screams. You can nab the production now before The Gaslamp Killer drops 16 other tastefully horrifying tunes on Breakthrough.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player