The Gaslamp Killer "Impulse (feat. Daedelus)"
Possibly the man with the most bizarre mustache in electronic music, LA's The Gaslamp Killer is poised to release his debut album, Breakthrough, via Flying Lotus' Brainfeeder imprint on September 18. If this is your first encounter with the bombastic artist, you may be surprised to learn that aside from his talents as a genre-bending producer, he is also a noteworthy turntablist and a co-founder/resident DJ of the Low End Theory club night in Los Angeles. However, that doesn't necessarily mean his records are inherently playable in an average club. "Impulse"—which features another major Southern California talent, Daedelus—is a prime example of this intangible sonic disorder because it features distorted drum sounds, a fat saw-tooth bassline, screeching synths, vinyl scratch sound effects, and manic screams. You can nab the production now before The Gaslamp Killer drops 16 other tastefully horrifying tunes on Breakthrough.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player