20-year-old Ross O'Sullivan, who produces music under the moniker Monto, recently sent over "Homage," the first track off his debut EP, Best Boy, which is available now on Bandcamp with a vinyl release coming soon from Melted. The Irish producer starts "Homage" with an extended dissonant chord and what sounds like clattering cassette tapes, gradually adding in a few chilled-out layers: blunted beats, video-game synths, and playful bass riffs. The hazy milieu couples with the crackle of vinyl and what sounds like the producer coughing on smoke to give Monto's tune some irie vibes.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player