How to Dress Well "& It Was U (Avalon Emerson Cybernetic Edit)"
- Words: Rebecca Bratburd
- Photo: Ria Michelle
R&B songster How to Dress Well and San Francisco producer Avalon Emerson go head-to-head on this "Cybernetic" version of "& It Was U" from the former's recently released sophomore album, Total Loss. Avalon Emerson puts her signature house spin on the soulful song, making it ready for play in the club with an added kick drum, playful toms, and bright organ notes. She says her goal with this tune was to "contribute to the larger narrative" of retooling R&B to make dancefloor anthems, and does so by effortlessly weaving How to Dress Well's emotive falsetto with her classic house-referencing dabs.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player