U "Sand Reckoner"
- Words: Anthony Princi
The elusive, up-and-coming producer known only as U is set to release his debut record (artwork above) via DJ/producer George FitzGerald's label, ManMakeMusic. Although this this track won't be featured on that four-track EP, it serves as an equally fitting introduction to U and his music, which rests somewhere between the sounds of vintage b-movie horror and breakbeat-heavy rave music. "Sand Reckoner" is a fusion of similar sounds, which kicks off with eerie white noise and a half-time kick-and-hi-hat combo that caves into a breakbeat as a hypnotically arpeggiated synth is introduced into the mix. The ghostly melody is what gives "Sand Reckoner" its "horror movie" quality, as it sounds like a riff you might hear coming from a Dracula pinball machine circa 1986. Look for the rest of U's 12" when it drops on October 15.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player