U "Sand Reckoner"
- Words: Anthony Princi
The elusive, up-and-coming producer known only as U is set to release his debut record (artwork above) via DJ/producer George FitzGerald's label, ManMakeMusic. Although this this track won't be featured on that four-track EP, it serves as an equally fitting introduction to U and his music, which rests somewhere between the sounds of vintage b-movie horror and breakbeat-heavy rave music. "Sand Reckoner" is a fusion of similar sounds, which kicks off with eerie white noise and a half-time kick-and-hi-hat combo that caves into a breakbeat as a hypnotically arpeggiated synth is introduced into the mix. The ghostly melody is what gives "Sand Reckoner" its "horror movie" quality, as it sounds like a riff you might hear coming from a Dracula pinball machine circa 1986. Look for the rest of U's 12" when it drops on October 15.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player