It's rare to come across a techno tune that's been stripped of the essential 808, 909, or 303 drum and bass sounds. However, Montreal-based DJ/producer HGLDT has done just that with the a-side of his brand-new release for Full Fridge, Reflections on the Void. "Fight/Flight" is a dark, percussive techno number that utilizes acoustic drum sounds in lieu of the classic drum machines. With virtually no melody, HGLDT's production rises and falls with the help of a swung cymbal groove, heaps of brute toms, and plenty of eerie and airy FX. You can also hear the b-side of HGLDT's new record after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player