Halls "Roses For The Dead (Ukkonen Remix)"
- Words: Anthony Princi
Following remix treatments from the likes of Dro Carey and recent XLR8R podcast contributor Max Cooper, a mysterious Finnish producer by the name of Ukkonen (pictured above) has stepped up to the plate with his take on Halls' touching "Roses for the Dead" song from his brand-new LP for No Pain in Pop, Ark. This version holds its own alongside the previous two remixes (both of which were featured in our Press Play series, here and here). Ukkonen's beat behind the somber vocals and pads is shuffling and syncopated, giving the entirety of his mix a lighter quality than the other two. In addition, the grand piano and bright synth melodies sprinkled over the top of the beat provide contrast against the deep techno bass and kicks, helping render it more complex than a typical rainy-day jam.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player