Julian Carnrite and Kevin Schmidt, of Vancouver-based synth-pop group Christine, will release their debut EP, Good Ideas, next week on Moodgadget, but we at XLR8R are bringing you an exclusive Cassettes Won’t Listen remix of the EP’s single, “Cool Your Shoes,” to enjoy in the meantime. This remix gives Carnrite and Schmidt’s decidedly give-a-shit vocal delivery and straightforward pop hooks a shot of grainy bass and oscillating top synths. Good Ideas is out April 21.
Downloads - Page 596
Kate Simko used her love of techno, her background in classical music, and her admiration for scalar elementary particles to form her latest release, the soundtrack to PBS science documentary The Atom Smashers. The film follows a group of physicists on their search for the Higgs Boson particle, otherwise known as "The God Particle" (if physics wasn't your major, the Higgs Boson would, if found, help determine the origins of the universe). Ponder that theory while listening to Simko's minimal-driven soundtrack. Music from The Atom Smashers is out now.
Frequent Spank Rock collaborator Amanda Blank's forthcoming album might be called I Love You, but the first track off the release is, it seems, about all things lust related. "I might like you better/if we slept together," she raps over a bouncy, bassy rhythm, and that's about the tamest line you'll find on this track. I Love You is out July 14.
Here comes more Mochipet madness. The weirdo-hop maestro takes on Atlanta-based hip-hop collective Dem Franchize Boys for his next project, turning the group's track "I Think They Like Me" into a frantic future-blap number packed end-to-end with electronics.
Brooklyn's power duo—MC 77Klash and beatmaker Matt Shadetek—drops another bass-heavy track, this one with a staggered rhythm section and sharp-as-nails lyrical spitfire. The track is off Klash's forthcoming new album, No Fear.
Monika Enterprise founder Gudrun Gut kicked off 2009 by releasing the digital-only Apples, Pears & Deer in Poland EP, a sampler of electronic compositions that includes two brand-new tracks and one remix by Thomas Fehlmann. Here's the moody, post-techno title track, of which we showcase a special edit here. If you ever wondered what winter in Berlin sounds like, take a listen. Apples, Pears & Deer in Poland is out now. Photo by Malte Ludwigs.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player