Phon.o "Black Boulder (SCNTST Remix)"
- Words: Brad Stabler
The original version of Phon.o's "Black Boulder," the title track of his 2012 LP for 50Weapons, is a skeletal slowburn, a series of whirring synths slowly flickering to life one by one. Berlin-based producer SCNTST carefully picked over the bones, hiding the original tune in every corner he could manage while creating a forward-thinking piece of pummeling techno. What's most appealing about this take on "Black Boulder" is how almost all of the original pieces are here, but SCNTST only lets them peak out for a second before swallowing them up in either a wash of reverb or a precise kick. After getting your fill of this remix, be sure to check out the video for Phon.o's original track, after the jump.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player