Mike Gao "Comin' Off That High"
It's been a while since West Coast programmer/producer Mike Gao appeared on XLR8R; his last mention was in our Gear section, when we checked out the Polyplayground app for iPad. However, his musical chops sound has honed as ever, and are in full effect on his latest self-released record, Beta World Peace. "Comin' Off That High" is a tune lifted from that album, one that aptly sums up Gao's playful, beat-driven sound. For someone who has to constantly work within the rigid confines of coding, the producer's new track is anything but rigid: "Coming Off That High" is a ghetto-tinged, bass-heavy jam filled with payful 8-bit FX and Brotha Lynch samples. And if you're feeling this one, be sure to check out the rest of Beta World Peace over on Gao's Bandcamp page, here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player