Snasen "Failing Upwards"
Norwegian producer Robin Snasen Rengård (who makes music simply as Snasen) may be new to the sphere of electronic music, but the man has history buried deep in the roots of punk and hardcore. Trading mosh pits for beatmaking, Snasen first started out in the now-defunct Amulet, but he now spends his time weaving his angst-ridden musical past into his solo, electronic output. The title track from his forthcoming Failing Upwards EP finds Snasen creating a deep, glacial number, dewed with deadened snaps and hollow percussive samples. A slowly moving bassline and some grim vocal cuts eventually overtake his production, plunging the track further into a heady and emotional place. You can hear more of Snasen's solo work once the Failing Upwards EP is released on February 15 via Sellout!, which precedes a purported debut full-length slated for release later this year.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player