214 "Rump Up"
- Words: Glenn Jackson
When listening to "Rump Up," a one-off freebie from Seattle producer Chris Roman's 214 moniker, it's easy to forget that an actual person was behind its creation. Machine-made sounds rule supreme throughout the tune's run, and its rhythms are executed with exacting precision. Still, it seems true that only a human could have put this all together in such an inventive way, especially while keeping his sights trained on the dancefloor. And though "Rump Up" may not be exactly what we're expecting to hear from Roman after his softer-edged J. Alvarez pseudonym scored a couple of spots on our Best of 2012 lists, this jam offers enough mechanical, techno-flecked electro to hold us over until more goodness arrives from the prolific artist.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player