Pearl Necklace "Why Toto?"
On "Why Toto?," Brooklyn duo Pearl Necklace (a.k.a. Bryce Hackford and Frank Lyon) takes a more fractured, decomposing approach akin to the work of The Caretaker, or the pastoral ambience created by fellow Brooklyn artist Heathered Pearls. "Why Toto?" unfolds at a slow, relaxed pace, taking its time to build up its hushed guitar strokes amid bubbling samples, a displaced organ, and various layers of fuzz sliding over the top of it. Sonically, it's the opposite of the first track we heard from the band's Soft Opening LP, "Did You Feel It?," but reveals Pearl Necklace to be a versatile group whose playful, patient backdrops can survive with or without an obvious beat. Look for the rest of Soft Opening to drop on February 26 via Smalltown Supersound.
- NewsCheck Out Caribou's 'Essential Mix' for BBC Radio 1
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsStream a New Track from Om Unit's Upcoming EP for Metalheadz
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player