K-The-I??? "Aching for Love Music"
With a penchant for start-stop productions and an eclectic taste in music—he's flipped artists from Atlas Sound to James Pants—Los Angeles-via-Cambridge boom-bap nomad K-The-I??? has once again opened his sound to new turns and colors on the recently released Oxidised Matrix V2 EP. Opening cut "Aching for Love Music" is decidedly on the experimental side, dwelling on 8-bit synths in its first half and gorgeous chimes in its more ambient second half. K-The-I??? runs freely around the middle, pummeling the listener with tapestries of soul and psych and rolling riffs off of his Casio; he doubles the assault with relentless drum work switching between hip-hop and house formats. It's a dense yet intimate listen, one which is both playful and tightly controlled.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player