Xander Harris "Night Fortress"
The New Dark Age of Love couldn't be a more appropriate title for the new record by Xander Harris (a.k.a. Justin Sweatt). According to a press release, the Austin producer's inspiration for the album came from watching people slowly abandon their neighborhoods in favor of million dollar condos. As such, there's lots of melancholy and nostalgia to wade through on "Night Fortress," but that doesn't take away the core fact this is a gorgeous dance-pop tune. Anchored by a thundering pulse, Harris pulls "Night Fortress" in both directions, using a nasty lead that doubles down as the track makes its way toward the dancefloor while synths hover high above the low end. The slow-building production seems to be over before you know it, which piques our interest as to how it will fit with the rest of The New Dark Age of Love when it drops on April 2 via Not Not Fun.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player