Cotton Claw "Climax"
- Words: Elissa Stolman
Four-piece French outfit Cotton Claw has offered up "Climax," a track dense with meaty, gummy sounds—but it's the pockets of silence embedded into the mix that stand out. Between momentary pauses, Cotton Claw threads a chunky acid bassline in and out of a sturdy, neatly stomping kick drum, which eventually deteriorates into a woozy broken beat. The band's four members (Lilea Narrative, YoggyOne, Zerolex, and La Chauve-Souris) composed the tracks with 64 pads, all played in real time, a performance technique they recently demonstrated in a video of their live set.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player