Senior Groove "The Horse That Backed Itself"
South London outfit Senior Groove comprises two producers who are both drummers outside of the electronic realm, and the pair's sprawling techno cut "The Horse That Backed Itself" uses that element to spotlight the possibilities of its groove. The duo spends eight minutes playing around with the structure of the tune, keeping the basic kicks and snares on the same trajectory while finding different ways to arrange the synths and percussion around it. It all winds up being an engrossing listen, one that doesn't opt to show its hand and rewards multiple spins.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player